Sunday, May 17, 2009

Getting Freshened Up

When did showering become my most conflicting time of the day. First of all, it is about the only 10 minutes I get totally to myself. Unless a) my son comes in and talks to me while I shower b) my husband comes in and talks to me while I shower or c) the baby screams while I shower. All of which detract from my 10 minutes of serenity. I don't understand why people feel the need to talk to you while you shower. In my opinion that is quiet time, but to each their own. Anyway, those are the most relaxing 10 minutes of my day barring any of the above three scenarios, which frankly happen more often than not.
The 10-20 minutes that follow the shower, however, are some of my least favorite of the day. I hate having to put clothes on, do my lotions and potions routine, and especially style my hair. It's just not one of those things that is fun for me. Back in the day, in college, when I had nothing better to do than spend an hour doing my hair while I pre-funked to go to the club with my girls, it was kind of fun. (Let's face it everything is more fun with a Smirnoff Ice and a song to shake your booty too!) But now I'm lucky if I can put on my lotion and deodorant back-to-back without someone screaming/crying for me. That's the part I hate now. I put on my lotion and then Byron will come in and say he needs another episode of Max & Ruby turned on. Then I put on my deodorant, and just as I'm reaching for my tooth brush the baby starts screaming. Then I brush my teeth, and just as I'm plugging in the hair dryer I will hear any number of noises that put the fear in a mother. Usually a crash noise, or a loud shrieking cry or a knock at the door (I'm still naked at this point.) (Nothing worse than answering the door in your robe, because it basically announces that you were naked when the doorbell rang.)
So anyway, by the time I get all of that done and get dressed and put on make-up it seems like half the day is gone. Sometimes I have to stop to breastfeed the baby just so I can make it through my "get ready for the day routine." Maybe I should take up the habit of drinking a Smirnoff Ice while I get ready everyday. No...nevermind...people would probably frown on that.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Haha...that's great. I have been living in sweats and a pony tail since my 3 month old was born. It has gotten to the point where when I decide to put on jeans my husband says, "why are you so dressed up?" :)

Victoria said...

lol @ kim. except when i put on jeans my S.O. says where are you going. Really enjoyed reading your blog.
Being mommy is not that hectic for me though but I know that's because i take the many precausions and I ignore people well. And maybe because I only have one. IDK.

Anna said...

Kim,
I've had the same thing happen to me. It's scary! Although, I've personally come to the decision that jeans are too restrictive for home use, so the minute I get home it's sweats or shorts. LOL

Anna said...

Victoria,
How old is your LO? I would definately say having a second ramps up life stress. Especially if you have a toddler, because my toddler is pretty easy when it comes to general care. The baby is more high matinence that way, but she doesn't throw tantrums. LOL